A Wee Wander Down To The Boathouse

2015-09-05 14.20.14

Hey Guys,

Well, today Mum and I went on our first “proper” cross-country wander.

Our daily walks around Cumbernauld are usually around about 4 miles, but of various difficulties depending on our routes, but we have decided to walk a little further at the weekends to allow us to up our distances and fitness. After all, we did start our walking venture, however long it may last, in order to improve our health and fitness, and to tone up.

All in all, we walked 7.9 miles, which is almost double our usual distance! No wonder my legs are killing me! Starting in Dullatur, we followed the marked route along Croy Hill to the Antonine Wall and Ruined Roman Fort, and then down the hill towards The Boathouse at Auchinstarry, which is one of our favourite places to eat. After stopping for wee naughty Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sundaes, we carried on along the Forth/Clyde Canal path back towards Dullatur. Thinking we had found that too easy, we fearlessly decided to continue back up the hill, eventually finding our old route, and doubling back on ourselves as we headed home.

2015-09-05 15.30.55

The walk down through Dullatur was pretty easy, as it’s all down hill. The biggest problem with this section of the walk is trying to ignore the serious envy you feel walking past the houses down there. Seriously, they are ridiculously big. Mum and I had a tourist moment when we stopped to pose for pictures next to the Roman Statue, before continuing on our way.

2015-09-05 14.01.222015-09-05 14.01.46

After locating the first signpost for our route, we wandered down past Dullatur Tennis Courts, and arrived at a choice. We could choose to follow the road round a bend, or head down a seemingly never ending staircase. With no signpost to guide us, I decided that, as we had to reach the bottom of the hill to find the main trail, we should use the stairs. About halfway down, we discovered a signpost which told us that we were on the right track-hurray!

Our real walk began at the bottom of that staircase. The terrain changed from paved paths to gravel tracks through the woods alongside Dullatur Golf Course. Keeping an eye out for stray balls, Mum and I admired the scenery, and noted on how wonderful it would be to bring a horse here to hack out. As the path looped round, we discovered a small-for lack of a better word- lagoon beside our walk. Getting closer to have a better look, I couldn’t help noticing how serene the location was, and how much I just wanted to find a good book and waste the days away just sitting doing nothing much at all.

2015-09-05 14.21.15

Crossing the railway line, our gravel paths turned to narrow grass paths, and I must say, I am glad I decided to wear my walking boots and not my trainers, as the paths became quite damp and muddy in places. Someone, I know not whom, had placed large branches and planks of wood down at the worst points, in an attempt to make the crossing easier. I thank whomever this was, as these were a godsend.

At the end of one little trail, we were again confronted with a signless fork. However, at this fork we were also greeted by a small herd of cattle to make up for this obstacle. After consulting a map, we decided to head left, following the train tracks for a time before heading uphill along a cattle track. What a hill! A few breathers were required on our ascent, let me tell you. However, relief was found when at the summit we discovered the Old Roman Fort, a historical site I had hoped we would find but doubted we would.

2015-09-05 14.31.51

After a wee snoop around the Fort, we rejoined the path and headed up another ridiculously steep hill. However, my ire at this was quickly dispelled as I realised that the path we were on was a section of the John Muir Way, a long-distance walk I would love to one day walk along. We stopped at the top as Mum spotted a gentleman out with his sons sitting eating their lunch surrounded by some beautiful heather. The sight was a perfect picture opportunity, and we stopped to take a photo of them on the man’s phone. I wish I had also taken a photo for this, as the whole setting was idyllic. Unfortunately, the thought did not occur to me until the boys came racing past us on their way home. Mum and I did take a few selfies at the highest point of the walk. (Please excuse the highly obvious bra straps, my more modest attire had been removed early in the walk.)

2015-09-05 14.51.102015-09-05 14.51.12

Also visible from this point was our pit stop, the Auchinstarry Marina and The Boathouse.

I was sad when I realised that our route would take us away from the John Muir Way. I had enjoyed feeling like a real hiker following the waymarkers along our route.

As steep as the hill had been on our way up, the hill down was just as bad, and made worse by the fact my muscles were starting to feel the strain. However, I soldiered on, knowing that there was Brownie Sundae out there with my name on it.

2015-09-05 15.51.08

We arrived at our pit stop just in time, as poor Mum ended up with a migraine trying to rear its ugly head. If it had succeeded, our adventure would have ended there and then, as her migraines put Mum out of commission for at least the rest of the day. Thankfully, due to a wee rest and her favourite dessert, Mum was good to go.

2015-09-05 15.31.12

After stuffing down a hearty helping of delicious chocolate ice cream, we set off once more along the Forth/Clyde Canal path, which was largely uneventful, as the path is fairly flat and even. We did however nearly have a moment when Mum couldn’t quite process that she had heard a bicycle bell, and when I moved out of the way of the oncoming cyclist, she got very confused and moved into the way! She did realise her mistake in time though, or things could have been very interesting indeed.

At the end of the canal path we had a choice to make. As it was our first distance walk, we had agreed with Dad that we would phone him when we reached this point and he would come and collect us by car. However, as the walk along the canal had been so easy, I suggested that we continue back up the hill. If you asked my legs, they would tell you that this was the wrong decision, but I am glad that we did so. I had not realized how steep the path we would follow would be, but had been seduced by the fact that we would once again be following the John Muir Way, and that I could once again feel like a real hiker.

Our path did flatten out at the top of the hill for a time, and I was able to enjoy the wide open spaces around us. I realised that we were looping round, and were soon to meet up with our earlier path. We passed our friendly herd of cattle once more, and headed back along the grassy path back towards Dullatur.

Passing the lagoon, our peace was disrupted by Mum’s phone as Dad phoned to find out what was happening. This was a godsend, as we were both starting to struggle quite a bit, and asked him to meet us at the tennis courts to take us home. Upon reaching the gravel path, Mum’s feet were clearly getting tired, as she nearly faceplanted quite spectacularly, but regained her composure quickly enough to save herself too much embarrassment. A small deviation from our earlier route took us by a few more mansion style homes in Dullatur, before our tired, sore feet carried us up the hill towards Dad and his waiting car.

Much as my legs are screaming out in pain right now, I am really glad Mum and I went our wander today. It’s always great to spend some quality time together, and I am glad that we are both comfortable walking together as silent companions, as I prefer to wander in silence, listening to the sounds of nature around me.